What is Conscious Parenting?
Being a conscious parent is not about arriving at a destination…after which you have earned the title “conscious parent.” It’s not a designation to put on your resume, or a symbol of having achieved a certain level of mastery of its principles.
It’s about the commitment to the journey – and it can start on day one. You can choose TODAY to be a conscious parent.
It means you are committed to the never-ending journey that emphasizes growth, truth, authenticity, and presence. We can all practice these skills and achieve various levels of mastery, however the genuine intention towards the journey is the most important piece that matters.
Conscious Parenting is not a checklist of external attributes….it’s about the process. It is not about being a “human being,” but about being a “human becoming.” It is about being authentic, vulnerable, and honest.
While there is a full spectrum of what that looks like from the outside, the most important aspect of being a conscious parent is the intention.
We do this by:
- Being deliberate with our choices of how we live our life, parent our children, and affect our community
- Taking pause before acting, no matter how little or how big the action, in order to be thoughtful with our choices
- Understanding our actions have repercussions beyond the immediate and ourselves, and consider those when making our decisions for ourselves and our family
- Having the courage to speak from the heart, and follow our intuition and share with others
- Focusing our energies on what we can do to help ourselves, rather than waiting for others to do it for us
- Modeling our values to our children and our communities – we do our best to walk the walk instead of just talk the talk
- Knowing in our hearts that every little action has an effect, and it doesn’t have to be dramatic to be impactful